PutImage vs BackgroundPixmap (was Re: Open Shared Memory and Render Pictures)

Michael Titke michael.tiedtke at o2online.de
Sat Aug 6 11:54:22 UTC 2016

With SHM pixmaps VSI/GIO can finally display a pixmap. While the Intel
graphics card of my old MacBook might not be that speed daemon I'm a
little bit surprised to see "jumpy" window resizes. Perceived
performance is important and sometimes just plainly misleading but both
ShmPutImage (with expose event round trips) as well as a background
pixmap (with deselected expose events and without any round trip) lead
to the same perceived performance where the window border takes its time
to follow the pointer and starts to jump to reach it faster.
The "jumpiness" reminds me of mutex saturation effects or maybe this is
due to the compositing of some part of the Ubuntu Unity Desktop shell
collection? The complexities of the modern input output graph ...