Corrupted XImage retrieved from a Window area

Fabien Lelaquais Fabien.Lelaquais at roguewave.com
Mon Aug 1 14:44:59 UTC 2016

Thansk again to you, Thomas, and Carsten.

I suspect I still was not clear enough. My problem is not the hidden pixels. I know they will be undefined (or I can use an XCopyArea and process the GraphicsExpose events).

My problem is that visible pixels (well defined, and in this case, white) are retrieved as black pixels.

To make things more clear, if you cannot reproduce my problem.
I have two top windows A and B.
B is smaller than A, and located on top of it.
A is entirely on my screen (and B obviously is as well).

Here what it looks like: (sorry guys, you'll need a monospaced font to see this properly)
+------------+
| A          |
|  +-----+   |
|  |  B  |   |
|  +-----+   |
+------------+

If I XGetImage() from A a rectangle that contains the area covered by B (but still inside A), what I expect is:
+------------+
|            |
|  #######   |
|  #######   |
|  #######   |
+------------+
Where the # signs indicate an undefined value: all the pixels covered by B. Makes sense.

But what I really get is:
+------------+
|            |
|  ######### |
|  ######### |
|  ######### |
+------------+
That is, more pixels are reported as undefined, to the right of the expected 'undefined' region (the one covered by B).
My experiments show that the more I translate the capture rectangle to the right (limited to the surface of A), the more undefined pixels I will get.
If the capture rectangle has its left edge at 0 (on the A left-hand border), the image is perfect. This makes no sense at all.

Unfortunately, I cannot rely on the BackingStore or other properties: I may not be the one that created the Window (I'm working on a library that sits on top of X).

And yes, I suspect a bug in the server but honestly I don't believe it.

I tried this today: I can work the problem around by creating a temporary Pixmap (the size of my capture area), XCopyArea the window A into it, then XGetImage on that Pixmap.
Then my image is fine, at the cost of an additional Pixmap (potentially large) and a GC (where I dropped the generation of GraphicsExpose events that I don't care about).
All my pixels are correct, except the covered ones, which is fair.

Thanks!
Fabien