triple monitor / dual video card set up

Seb spluque at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 23:29:56 UTC 2016

Hello,

I've recently moved onto a setup with:

* 3 monitors

  Resolutions:

  - 1920 x 1080 (2)
  - 1680 x 1050 (1)

* 2 videos cards

  - GeForce GT 720
  - RV730 Pro (Radeon HD 4650)

The two monitors with the same resolution are plugged into the GT 720
and the remaining is plugged into the HD 4650.

After a lot of effort I was able to get the monitor(s) from either card
to function properly with the attached /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  The
"Default" layout works well whether I use the Screen section from either
video card.  Unfortunately, it fails whenever I attempt to combine the
screens.  In the latter case, only the Screen section that is listed
first gets displayed properly, and the other shows a black screen(s)
with an X-shaped cursor whenever the cursor wonders into the area.

Any tips on what is going on?  Have others been successful in setting up
a config file for a multiple video card system requiring a mixture of
drivers like nouveau and radeon?

Thanks,

--
Seb