Problems with acceleration configuration on Intel HD Graphics 5500.

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Sat Oct 31 09:32:13 PDT 2015

Hello.

I've just purchased a Dell E7250 laptop equipped with Intel HD Graphics 5500
(i5-5300U). Today I've been fighting with Xorg configuration. I'm running PLD
distribution (not important here) with kernel 4.2.4, xserver 1.17.4 and XOrg
Intel driver 2.99.917.

The problem is, that if I enable SNA acceleration, my laptop hangs very
quickly after I start X - even if I use only twm as a window manager. I
wouldn't even mention runnig KDE for it hangs extremally quickly. It works a
bit longer if i switch off desktop effects in KDE.

I've tried many tricks like switching to UXA, usinfg NoAccel option - it helps
but just for a moment. Till now I've been using Dell D430 with i945MG internal
card and it works very well, although not that fast.

Now it's time for my question: is there a known way to make such
configuration work stable WITH hardware acceleration? SNA or UXA - not
important, but I want to have it working, together with KDE desktop effects.
It seems to be a waste to have such powerful hardware and not be able to use
it :-/ Maybe there are some tweaking options needed? Or shall I try some older
driver versions?

Thanks for any help.
--
Łukasz Maśko                                                            _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\