Potential approach to EnterNotify problem in window manager

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:01:21 PDT 2015

On Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2015 22:17:28 CEST, Ingo Bürk wrote:

> This causes the problem that if the user puts their pointer "away" in
> some corner, then shows the bar for a second and then hides it again,
> X11 generates LeaveNotify for i3bar and EnterNotify for whichever window
> is underneath the pointer. Since the user might have "focus follows
> mouse", this causes said window to be focused, even though it's not at
> all the intention of the user (they're not really looking to use their
> mouse at all in this scenario).

KWin FFM has a general pointer position comparism. Only actual movements cause a focus change, not random crossing event caused by window un/maps (as eg. caused by popups)

> Now, if i3bar was part of the window manager, we could obviously just
> discard the EnterNotify in the window manager to avoid this.

Humm?
The EnterNotify is generated for something else anyway, but window detection is not related to the process at all. You could add a hinting property to the i3bar or just compare class and type properties to know that this is the i3bar.

Cheers,
Thomas