Making xset stick on a secondary X session

Ilya Anfimov ilan at astelecom.ru
Wed Oct 14 08:00:27 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 03:24:15PM +0800, Tony Mobily wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I tried again. I am starting to doubt that xset works properly!
>    I did:
>    $ export DISPLAY=:1
>    $ sudo X :1 -noreset &
>    $ xeyes &
>    $ xterm &
>    I can then confirm that xset has no effect on the running X:
>    $ xset r rate 50 150
>    No difference in the repeat rate.
>    However, if you run the command on the terminal within :1, it will work
>    (as expected).
>    It really looks like xset will only work if run within the server
>    itself... but why? Should I report this as a bug? (it's really easy to
>    reproduce)

 Confirming, reproduced, debian/jessie, X -version
X.Org X Server 1.16.4
Release Date: 2014-12-20

 Looks  like  xset  r  rate  works only when the server is active
(i.e.  on the active virtual console). This should be reported as
bug  IMHO, however your configuration should work when run as the
only X-server.