Is there a way to force xrandr to re-read current available display modes?

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Fri May 8 03:23:33 PDT 2015

Hello.
I have a Dell laptop, for which I have 2 docking stations (at home and at
work), both with additional monitor connected. The monitors differ in
resolution. I do not turn my laptop off, I only suspend it to RAM, when it is
not used.
Let's consider such scenario: laptop is docked at home. Xrandr shows available
resolution for external screen properly. I turn off the external output
(xrandr --output VGA1 --off), then I suspend it, undock and take to work,
where I dock again to another docking port and wake it up.
The problem is, that the laptop does not re-read the resolution configuration
then. it shows resolutions from the monitor which I have at home, not at work.
I think that after the machine wakes up, it gets no "display changed" message,
which is pretty logical. ButThen The only way I can have the data "fixed" is
to unplug the monitor physically and plug it back. And I dont like such
solution, that's not what docking station is for.

Can I somehow make xrandr refresh its readings?
--
Łukasz Maśko                                                            _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\