XV no video

Kielogl kielogl at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 22:11:51 PDT 2015

Hello, I am having trouble with XV video playback, getting audio but no video. I am starting X using Xorg command and then trying to play a video using mplayer or similar, without installing a window manager.
It works okay if I use the x11 driver (eg. mplayer -vo x11) but not for xv.
If I power off the system and reboot to another OS version with KDE playback is fine.
If I then reboot from working KDE OS to back to Xorg OS, playback will work.
If I reboot from non-working Xorg OS back to KDE OS, playback on KDE stops working too. It needs a power reset to get KDE OS working again.

The output from xvinfo (attached) is exactly the same with Xorg playback working or not working. There do not seem to be any obvious kernel modules missing from lsmod.
Problem system kernel is 3.18.9-200.fc21.x86_64, X.Org X Server 1.16.3

Any suggestions on how to resolve?