xf86-input-keyboard not working

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Mar 17 19:50:24 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 02:26:43AM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:16:21 +1000:

> >> Hmm, I never did anything to explicitly enable devices. Could you please
> >> advise what to do?
> >>
> >> BTW, the old PC which is working with old xf86-input-keyboard/xorg-server
> >> reports the same:
> >>
> >>   (==) Not automatically adding devices
> >>   (==) Not automatically enabling devices
>
> > What's your xorg.conf?
>
> Here you are.
>
> BTW, I tried setting .autoEnableDevices = TRUE in xorg-server's source,
>
>   (==) Automatically enabling devices
>
> but still no keyboard.

ok, I'll be honest - no idea. Since you don't have AutoAddDevices enabled in
the config and none of the usual warning messages are in the log it looks
like you had neither hal nor libudev present at configure time. That changes
how the server deals with input devices at startup but tbh it's been years
since I had to care about this.

It's probably a server bug (disabling AutoAddDevices on a 'normal' server
with your config works just fine) but you'll have to dig down what exactly
triggers it. It's a niche use-case, so you'll have to debug it yourself.
Happy to merge a patch though once you identify the bug.

sorry

Cheers,
   Peter