xf86-input-keyboard not working

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Mar 17 15:48:07 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 11:05:28PM +0100, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:00:16 +0000:

> >> I want to use as much knowledge and as much settings from my old LFS as
> >> possible and limit the use of additional and new libraries and such.
> >>
> > When I read that you had used "all the latest sources" I assumed
> > that was for everything.
>
> What I meant was that I've downloaded the most recent version of everything
> I've installed from http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual.
>
> > The old input and mouse drivers are now expected to be used only on
> > non-linux systems, so not many people will have experience of them on
> > recent linux systems.
>
> What do you mean by "old"? xf86-input-keyboard per se?
>
> So, xf86-input-keyboard doesn't work any longer on linux systems, but
> xf86-input-mouse does?
>
> I'd assist in tracking down the issue if I just could get any help in where
> to look or what to check. At least the developers should have a clue.

the keyboard driver should still work on linux, we just don't really pay
attention to it anymore (or test it, or ship it). evdev has replaced it well
and truly and we've put some special hooks into the server to make sure that
you don't get duplicate events when evdev is being used. Thus, there are
some cases where the keyboard driver is disabled in the server, if you post
the full log we may see that this is the case.

Cheers,
   Peter