Strange issue with fglrx/opengl

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Mar 16 06:48:00 PDT 2015

Dwayne Rightler wrote:

> This one is puzzling me... any help would be great!
>
> glxinfo/glxgears does not work from my user account:
>
> darkomen at darkomen-desktop:~$ glxinfo
> name of display: :0
> Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
>
> darkomen at darkomen-desktop:~$ glxgears
> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
>

> If I give local permissions and su to root it works as root:

> root at darkomen-desktop:~# glxinfo
> name of display: :0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
> LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

> If I ssh into localhost as my normal user with X11 Forwarding it works:

> darkomen at darkomen-desktop:~$ glxinfo
> name of display: localhost:11.0
> display: localhost:11  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
> LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

For another data point, try

	export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

before running the glxinfo command.

It's possible that there's an issue which only affects direct
rendering. ssh -X localhost would prevent that (although I don't know
why running as root would; perhaps the issue is something in your
environment which is fixed by "su - ..." rather than by running as
root per se).