Dual head, display driven by mga driver has "X" cursor and is unusable

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 9 13:26:28 PDT 2015

Chris Fisichella composed on 2015-03-07 02:47 (UTC):

>> I can't get it right on Debian. Here is what I tried
>> 1. Run Xorg -configure by booting first into recovery mode.

This process generates a file with unneeded content. For nearly everyone,
automagic works acceptably for input devices and general options. IOW, from
the result file you can and should strip the sections unrelated to your video
card and your screen. The most anyone should need for multihead setup are
Device, Monitor and Screen sections.

> When I returned them and booted without any
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf file, The two displays came up nicely.

What you moved where is unclear to me. Those who use a custom xorg.conf file
normally should place it in /etc/X11/. The xorg.conf man page spells out
possible locations for config files.

Not everyone needs all of Device, Monitor and Screen sections to produce
their desired configuration. To simplify implementing reduced requirements,
files specific to individual sections can be placed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.
For video configuration these are typically named 50-device.conf,
50-monitor.conf and 50-screen.conf. These take the place of a custom
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

> Thanks, Felix for helping me out. The card was cheap enough. Having
> two monitors going is really nice.

HTH, glad you got it going.

Simplifying now while what you did is still fresh enough may make life in the
future easier, less likely to be corrupted or defeated by an upgrade, easier
to recreate what you actually need if starting from scratch after a fresh
installation.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/