xinput ids

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 00:27:18 PDT 2015

> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, at 03:17 PM, Ingo Krabbe wrote:
>> the IDs are a property of the XINPUT extension and the xinput(1) tool can
>> be used to modify XINPUT properties. It's the tool of choice for XINPUT
>> devices. What you might think of is a modification of the kernel (evdev)
>> devices, for example USB, which are listed in /sys/bus/usb/devices, but
>> these don't know about the XINPUT.ID.
>
> Ok, IIUC you are saying you can set the ids of USB devices(evdev), but
> not Xinput devices? Is that right?

No, I say, you can view/change USB Properties finding the a devices through USB IDs and you can view/change XINPUT Properties addressing the device via xinput and it's XINPUT.ID.

Though both might address the same hardware, you can control different properties. For example you can change USB power saving via the USB device structure, but not through the xinput layer. When you want to control the map of buttons of a touchpad, that's a property of the XINPUT structure.