ctrl-alt-2 as at (@)

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 06:21:07 PDT 2015

Hey Knut,

it's not that strange, that you cannot configure your keyboard as you where used to twenty years ago,
as the input layers developed to focus more input devices and more important, more languages and
character systems.

Quite likely your X11 Server is configured to use the kernel evdev driver to get keyboard input from keyboards. I'm not sure if you are able to configure the evdev input with xmodmap at all, but the preferred way is to configure keyboard input through the hal driver options. See man -k evdev and

	https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Evdev

. Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d or similar for keyboard configurations.

Best Regards,

Ingo