instability of Thinkpad x250 with Debian Sid

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Fri Jul 10 11:15:54 PDT 2015

I installed Sid on a new Thinkpad x250. The x server is acting up.

One immediate problem is that if my hand brushes TrackPad, it causes all
X applications (not desktop) to crash. So my original concern was to
disable TrackPad because I don't use it in any case. This proved
difficult. I disable it in BIOS, and this has no effect. I created
/etc/X11/xorg.d/*.conf and put a stanza in it to kill TrackPad, but it
just caused my desktop to loose sync and the only escape was C-A-D.

The only time I succeeded was for root to issue an xinit command to turn
TrackPad off, and this worked. However, a) when I exited X server,
display is caught in some kind of loop or lack of sync, making it unable
(sometimes just a black screen) to issue commands. b) when user tries,
user is not allowed access to the server. This probably excludes putting
a command into ~/.profile or .fluxbox/startup. c) when using su for a
root prompt, xinit command can't be issued because the server is busy.

Clearly, my problems are not just with TrackPad, but I would like to
disable it in any case. I see nothing in dmesg or Xorg.0.log of help. In
~/.xsession-errors I see that .Xmodmap does not exist, which I assume is
expected. After many "failing to read" messages, defaults are
accepted. Emacs24 unable to create /run/user/1000/dconf/user (permission
denied). Also the message: xterm: fatal IO error 11 (resource temporally
unavailable) or KillClient on X server ":0:0".

Side question: I've always killed the X server with C-A-D. Should I
instead use $ pkill X?