Matrox G200 won't work

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 15 01:55:25 PST 2015

Andrew Munn composed on 2015-01-15 01:12 (UTC-0800):

>> My G400s are still working OK using the mga driver on openSUSE and Mageia.
>> The distro you use may have dropped mga (e.g. Fedora dropped mga due to "no
>> maintainer"), leaving you to fall back on the slower modesetting driver.

> How can I pull in the driver from another distro?

I you're using Fedora, try downloading a package from an earlier release, maybe:
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/fedora/linux/releases/19/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/x/xorg-x11-drv-mga-1.6.2-7.fc19.i686.rpm

IIRC, I got one F20 installation working downloading the mageia driver
manually and using rpm's force option to install it, and ignoring the error
messages.

If you can't use a distro providing the software you need, maybe you'd be
better off sticking an eBay radeon or nvidia PCI video card in it if it has
no AGP or PCIe slot.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/