Proposing changes to the international keyboard

Adriaan van Nijendaal adriaan at choam.com
Fri Jan 9 01:33:56 PST 2015

Point taken. Two thoughts (I should have worded right away):

1. Any change to the Redmond layout will break 'user
experience' (Peter's response). IF we're breaking the standard wouldn't
it be better to improve it, instead of making a bigger mess? 'We' will
have to get used to the changes, which some will resist.

2. Re-arranging so many keys creates a new 'structure': all acute
versions on the vowel itself, all diaeresis versions one key below and
(most) grave versions right of the vowel. Other 'specials' at least
close to the key with the vowel.

Adriaan

PS Paolo Bonzini noted (in 2009) that the cedille dead key was initially
missing from altgr-intl. He put it on altgr-shift-5 because that was
available. Redmond made altgr-, map to ç (ccedille). It would have made
more sense to have the cedille dead key on the comma (and ç on altgr-c).
I feel that would be an improvement as well: one shifted dead key less.
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-June/001096.html