Proposing changes to the international keyboard

Enno Nagel enno.nagel at t-online.de
Thu Jan 8 11:24:47 PST 2015

It is already a lot more consistent and convenient than the original
international keyboard layout. Here are some sensible refinements:

1. Replace © (=AltGr+x) by ß, so that

     - ß stays close to s
     - is common in German (120 Mio native speakers)
     - ¢ is still reachable by AltGr+Shift+X, as in the original
       us(altgr-intl) keyboard layout.

     This is a perfect match because there is no upper case version of ß.

2. Replace ® (=AltGr+V) by â because

     - â is common in Portuguese and occurs French ( 250 + 338 Mio
      speakers), but
     - ® is only common in Redmont.

3. Replace æ (=AltGr+f) by ê because

     - ê stays close to e
     - ê is common in Portuguese and French (250 + 338 Mio speakers), but
     - æ is only common in Danish and Icelandic ( 5.6 + 0.3 Mio
       speakers) by http://en.wikipedia.org
       /wiki/Letter_frequency.

=> replace ß (=Alt+b) by æ

4. Replace ¶ (=AltGr+;) by ô because
      - ô stays close to o
      - is common in Portuguese (250 Mio speakers), whereas
      - ¶ appears for some formatting problems in MS Word, or in
        government documents, like on WikiLeaks (see the explanation
        on http://fsymbols.com/computer/paragraph/).

4. Replace ì (=AltGr+j) by ı because
      - ı stays close to i
      - ı is common (>5%) in Turkisch (63 Mio native speakers)
      - ì is less common in Czech (10 Mio native speakers) and easily
        reachable by AltGr+`+i.

6. Perhaps replace µ = Alt+M by ł because
     - not too far off from i,
     - it is very common in Polish (40 Mio speakers), whereas
     - µ is perhaps not so common in Greek and as a symbol also little
       little employed in everyday writing.

Best wishes

   Enno