How to configure radeonsi for clone mode?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 09:38:49 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 5:25 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zboszor at pr.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for an NVIDIA based Xorg setup with the proprietary driver,
> I have this file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "NVIDIA"
>         Driver          "nvidia"
>         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Screen0"
>         Option          "TwinView" "on"
>         Option          "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
>         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
> EndSection
>
> I would like to know how to setup the "clone mode" using the
> radeon driver on a Zotac ZBOX NANO-AQ01 which uses the
> radeonsi driver and has HDMI-0 and DisplayPort-0 connectors
> according Xorg.0.log.
>
> I came up with this using "man xorg.conf":
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier    "HDMI-0"
>     Option        "AutoServerLayout" "on"
>     Option        "Position" "0 0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier    "DisplayPort-0"
>     Option        "AutoServerLayout" "on"
>     Option        "Position" "0 0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier    "RADEON"
>     Driver        "radeon"
>     Option        "AutoServerLayout" "on"
>     Option        "Monitor-HDMI-0" "HDMI-0"
>     Option        "Monitor-DisplayPort-0" "DisplayPort-0"
> EndSection
>
> However, there is a small problem. I have connected a HD-ready
> capable TV using a HDMI-DisplayPort converted to the DisplayPort
> connector (native resolution 1366x768) and a FullHD capable
> monitor using the HDMI connector. The result doesn't look good
> and confirmed by Xorg.0.log:
>
> [2853811.002] (II) RADEON(0): Output DisplayPort-0 using initial mode 1360x768 +0+0
> [2853811.002] (II) RADEON(0): Output HDMI-0 using initial mode 1280x800 +0+0
>
> If I connect the FullHD-capable monitor to the DisplayPort,
> the result is more satisfying:
>
> [2854212.540] (II) RADEON(0): Output DisplayPort-0 using initial mode 1920x1080 +0+0
> [2854212.540] (II) RADEON(0): Output HDMI-0 using initial mode 1920x1080 +0+0
>
> How can I setup clone mode in a way using the xorg.conf.d
> extension file to make the system recognize the best resolution
> and use that instead of limiting it to the monitor capabilities
> connected to DisplayPort? It seems it's the primary connector.

FWIW, static xrandr configuration is not driver specific for the open
source drivers.  It should work the same regardless of what driver you
are using.  You'll want to take a look at the xorg.conf man page.
You'll probably want to play with the following options:

       Option "Primary" "bool"
              This optional entry specifies that the monitor should be
treated  as  the  primary  monitor.  (RandR
              1.2-supporting drivers only)

       Option "PreferredMode" "name"
              This  optional  entry  specifies  a  mode to be marked
as the preferred initial mode of the monitor.
              (RandR 1.2-supporting drivers only)

Alex