Xvfb on Heroku

Adam Hull adam at goodeggs.com
Mon Feb 23 20:04:41 PST 2015

I'd like to run xvfb on Heroku's Ubuntu 4.04.1 x86_64 machines for
chromedriver powered webdriver automation, and I'm hitting the same issues
as this guy
<https://discussion.heroku.com/t/trying-to-run-xvfb-in-heroku-fails-with-buildpacks/788>.

>From the past efforts he mentioned, and the latest buildpack-apt
<https://github.com/ddollar/heroku-buildpack-apt/blob/master/bin/compile>,
it looks like I have two options:

   1. Compile a self-contained xvfb binary a la
   https://github.com/kenshin23/xvfb-portable-binary that runs on Heroku's
   current OS and architecture, rebuild when they update.
   2. Install all dependencies from the apt package manager into someplace
   like ~/.apt, and run from there.

I'd prefer #2, but I'm stuck with `Xvfb :99 -ac` printing:

> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc, removing
> from list!
>
> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
> removing from list!
>
> [dix] Could not init font path element
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled, removing from list!
>
> [dix] Could not init font path element
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled, removing from list!
>
> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
> removing from list!
>
> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
> removing from list!
>
> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
> removing from list!
>
> sh: 1: /usr/bin/xkbcomp: not found
>
> sh: 1: /usr/bin/xkbcomp: not found
>
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
>
> Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup
> of xkeyboard-config.
>
> (EE)
>
> Fatal server error:
>
> (EE) Failed to activate core devices.(EE)

All the files it's looking for exist in the corresponding directories in
~/.apt (ie ~/.apt/usr/bin/xkbcomp), but I haven't figured out how to tell
Xvfb to look there.  Does xvfb consume something like xorg.conf?

Any tips appreciated,
Adam