Does the modesetting driver support glamor ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 4 18:08:07 PST 2015

Hi,

 I've got the 1.17 server running in qemu - all seemed good, but
when I looked at the log I saw

(II) glamor: EGL version 1.4 (DRI2):
EGL_MESA_drm_image required.
(EE) modeset(0): glamor initialization failed

 and I guess that '(EE)' spooked me into thinking something was
wrong.  Google found nothing I could relate to (the spec file for
this extension, some Python modules, but no clarity about what that
message meant, or how to correct it. [ the other (EE) messages I see
are for failing to load a driver I did not build, so they are fairly
obvious, even to an eejit like me ]

 After looking at the code, I can see that glamor/glamor_egl.c has
#define GLAMOR_CHECK_EGL_EXTENSION(EXT)  \
        if (!epoxy_has_egl_extension(glamor_egl->display, "EGL_"
#EXT)) {  \
                ErrorF("EGL_" #EXT " required.\n");  \
                return FALSE;  \
        }
 and the message comes from
GLAMOR_CHECK_EGL_EXTENSION(MESA_drm_image);
and here I can see this is one of the things that glamor needs if it
is to function.

 It ought to be available, because epoxy/egl.h pulls in
epoxy/egl_generated.h where the definition is found:
#define EGL_MESA_drm_image 1

 So, I now assume that the modesetting driver does not support
glamor acceleration ?  If that is the case, I'll stop worrying.

 Thanks for taking the time to read this.

ĸen