X Core Protocol Scheme

Ilya Anfimov ilan at astelecom.ru
Sun Dec 13 16:04:22 PST 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:19:59AM +0100, Michael Titke wrote:

Good day!

[skipped]

> When we add the keymap events to the event mask of the window (bit-or
> cw-keyboard cw-keymap) (BTW it's nice the core specifications containts Lisp
> like hexidecimal numbers which allows for copy & paste: (define cw-keymap
> (number->byte-string-4 #x00004000))) we only receive void keymap events but
> they really do appear for every suppressed enter notification:
>
> VSI SCA/X: unhandled event: #"11 0 0 0  16 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> 0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0"
> VSI SCA/X: unhandled event: #"11 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0
> 0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0"

 This  is exactly the behaviour specified in the X11 protocol de-
scription.
 Look at KeymapNotify event description (which  you  request  via
#x00004000 event mask).

 btw,  it  is  not  void  events: first one, in current linux PC,
should indicate that the Return key is pressed.

 And it is not related to keymaps. There is  MappingNotify  event
for keymaps, and you cannot request it as it is always reported.
 (And it is relatively rare event for most  setups,  and  may  be
even  never will come to your app, however this does not mean you
can ignore it)

> No matter what the request to receive the current mappings
> (X-get-keyboard-mapping X) is silently ignored.

 Most  probably  you  have  another off-by-one error or something
wrong with error dispatcher or so.
 But give me tcpdump -w of complete session, then there  will  be
some base about your statements.