maximized state and normal frame size lost after hide/show

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 06:58:12 PDT 2015

On Freitag, 14. August 2015 13:23:29 CEST, Cosmin Apreutesei wrote:
> I noticed that if I unmap a window, when I map it back, it's maximized
> state along with the restore-to size and position are all lost

Simple un/mapping a window should not loose its properties. Sure it's not destroyed?
(Otherwise some client, in doubt the WindowManager) would erase them)

> (Ubuntu 10). Is there a way to get the normal size/pos so I can put it back
> before mapping?

The restorage geometry is handled by the window manager internally.
You'd have to store the geometry before the window gets maximized and on "unmapping" (actually re-creation?) first set that geometry for  the unmaximized window and then set the maximization state (so the WM once saw the proper old geometry)

But again: for actual un/mapping this should no way be required.

Cheers,
Thomas