letter "x" typed automatically and how to disable hotkeys?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 29 12:12:10 PDT 2014

Jeremy C. Reed wrote on 2014-09-29 11:49 (UTC-0500):

> Often when my Dell Inspiron 14z laptop tilts or if the display lid
> moves, a letter "x" is typed to my terminal or window that is in focus.
> I am pretty sure it is not the lid switch...
> ...I was running Ubuntu Linux 11.10 when I first noticed problem months
> ago. I don't know if was a hardware failure if some software upgrade
> triggered it. Now it is Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS. The kernel is Linux
> 3.2.0-63-generic #95-Ubuntu SMP. While I don't think it is X.org
> related, I do have libxkbfile1 1:1.0.7-1ubuntu0.1 installed.

> I replaced the entire keyboard and the problem persists. (For what it is
> worth, this laptop has the easiest method for replacing a keyboard that
> I have ever seen or done.)...
> ...Thanks for any hints you may offer.

Could be a file at fault is from a package the upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04
didn't need to change. I would try to reproduce using a live media boot. If
that failed to reproduce, I'd try substituting in a different HD, installing
some other distro, and seeing if it could be reproduced. If you have ample
space on the existing HD, you could try installing another, maybe just
another 12.04, in multiboot configuration.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/