cannot open gedit

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 26 17:17:21 PDT 2014

On Friday 26 September 2014 17:29:15 XUTIANRUI did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi,
> I have just installed XQuartz 2.7.7 to my Mac. However after I:
> % ssh -X
> to a remote server, and type
> % gedit somename.py &
> in order to open a gedit window to edit, there is a window showing up
> for a second and then vanishes. May I ask why?
> Thank you.
> Terah

ssh -X doesn't always grab the X stuff, try ssh -Y

You must also be the same user on both machines.  So if you're on a buntu
box, ssh-ing into a redhat/fedora box, you will have to look up the ssh
manpage and use the username and password that is you on the rh/fedora
box.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)