disabling clickpad with synaptics

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Sep 9 23:19:00 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 11:48:11PM +0200, Tomas Davidek wrote:
> Hello,
>    I was using synaptics (syndaemon -d -i 1) for long time with the old
> notebook that had synaptic touchpad (Dell E6500). Now I have Lenovo Thinkpad
> T431s, which has clickpad built-in. Even if using
>      syndaemon -d -i 1.0 -R
> I often get the cursor unintentionally moved in the window I am writing in.
> Apparently, syndaemon does not fully disable the clickpad for the specified
> time. On the other hand, if I do
>     synclient TouchpadOff=1
> then the clickpad really get disabled, leaving only active clicks. I use
> this feature within udev when plugging-in external mouse https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics#Disable_touchpad_upon_external_mouse_detection,
> but I guess syndaemon could be extended to "switch off completely" the
> touchpad for the specified time. Could this be implemented, or do you see
> another way to avoid unintentional cursor moves & clicks resulting in
> writing somewhere else?

run xinput watch-props "device name" while syndaemon does its work.
what values does the "Synaptics Off" property take? unless the -t flag is
given to syndaemon, it should be the equivalent of TouchpadOff=1

And for 1.8 that should disable everything but physical clicks, so I'm
unsure what happens here.

Cheers,
   Peter