Torus display

AUGER Cédric cedric.auger at provenrun.com
Fri Sep 5 07:59:23 PDT 2014

Hi all, some time ago, I had installed two screens on my PC, but did not connect
them in the right ports : after installing Xorg, my physical left and right
monitors were swaped, thus to go from left screen to right screen, I had to send
the mouse at the left edge of my left screen so that it could appear on the
right edge of my right screen.

Of course, it is easy to repair it, either by replugging the screens on the
right ports, or by swaping physical screens, or by running arandr. And I have
used one of these solutions.

Still, if there was a possibility to have a "torus" as desktop (ie. sending
mouse to upper edge, it reappears at bottom edge, and sending the mouse to the
left edge of a screen, it would appear on the right edge of the other screen) I
would be interested in it.

I would be even more interested if one could also warp windows, as far as we do
not allow a window to recover itself.

Example:

┏━━━━┯━━━━━━━━━━━┓   ┏━━━━━━━━━━━┯━━━━┓
┃win1│           ┃   ┃           │win1┃
┠────┘           ┃   ┃           └────┨
┠────┐   ┌───────┨   ┠────┐   ┌───────┨
┃win2│   │       ┃   ┃    │   │win2   ┃
┠────┘   │win3   ┃   ┃win3│   └───────┨
┠────┐   └───────┨   ┠────┘      ┌────┨
┃win1│           ┃   ┃           │win1┃
┗━━━━┷━━━━━━━━━━━┛   ┗━━━━━━━━━━━┷━━━━┛

And with swaped screens:

┏━━━━━━━━━━━┯━━━━┓   ┏━━━━┯━━━━━━━━━━━┓
┃           │win1┃   ┃win1│           ┃
┃           └────┨   ┠────┘           ┃
┠────┐   ┌───────┨   ┠────┐   ┌───────┨
┃    │   │win2   ┃   ┃win2│   │       ┃
┃           │win1┃   ┃win1│           ┃

I do not know how hard that would be, and I would not know who would have to
implement it (xorg, compiz, the window manager…).

I would be curious of what we can achieve at best, and try the result.
Do you have any pointer on similar work?

--
AUGER Cedric