Synaptics clickpad release events

ross ross at kallisti.us
Tue Oct 28 13:16:59 PDT 2014

Hello all,

I have a T440s clickpad that's behaving badly.  When I click the pad, a
ButtonPress is sent as soon as I click.  When I release, no
ButtonRelease is sent until I actually remove my finger from the
touchpad surface.  So most clicks end up as drags - very annoying.  I've
tried various options with synclient, but according to xev, nothing
changes when the release event is generated.

The weird thing: a different T440s (different sku) with the same model
clickpad, same software, and same config behaves normally - a
ButtonRelease is sent as soon as the click is over, no need to remove
the finger.

How can I get the first to behave like the second?  I'm using synaptics
1.8.1 from Debian jessie, with Xserver 1.16.1, and Linux kernel 3.16.5.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf I have the following config:

Section "InputClass"
         Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
         MatchDriver "synaptics"
         Option "HasSecondarySoftButtons" "1"
         Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
         Option "SecondarySoftButtonAreas" "58% 0 0 15% 42% 58% 0 15%"
         Option "VertHysteresis" "30"
         Option "HorizHysteresis" "30"
         Option "PalmDetect" "1"
         Option "PalmMinWidth" "5"
         Option "PalmMinZ" "40"
         Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "0"
         Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "0"
         Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
         Option "VertScrollDelta" "25"
         Option "CoastingSpeed" "0"
EndSection

Thanks for the help,
Ross

PS - please keep me CCed, as I don't subscribe.  Thanks!