Default Permissions on /var/log/Xorg.n.log

Melvin Jones melvinj at gmail.com
Fri May 30 06:13:45 PDT 2014

The default permissions on the /var/log/Xorg.n.log file are 644.  I need
all my log files to have perms of 640 or more restrictive.  Umask is set to
077 in all init files and I've tried adding the umask to the /usr/sbin/gdm
script which runs gdm-binary which starts up Xorg.  However, I have not
been able to get the permissions to change on the log or the logs in
/var/log/gdm which are opened by the Xorg process.

Is there any way to change the permissions on these log files?

Thanks