Multi DE, multi seat setup

Floris jkfloris at dds.nl
Thu May 8 01:23:27 PDT 2014

Op Tue, 06 May 2014 08:42:40 +0200 schreef linux-service.be bvba
<guy at linux-service.be>:

> Op maandag 5 mei 2014 22:32:09 schreef Floris:
>
>> Op Mon, 05 May 2014 09:59:55 +0200 schreef nap <caracol at neuf.fr>:
>

>> > My use case is to allow people to choose their preferred desktop
>
>> > environment on a session basis, possibly in a multiseat configuration.
>
>> > How to set it up ?

>> with systemd version >= 204 and a display manager with systemd support
>
>> (eg. gdm >= 3.10)
>
>> it almost works out of the box.
>

>> http://code.lexarcana.com/blog/2012/06/17/simple-multiseat-setup-on-fedora-17/
>

>> (note: you don't have to follow the "next steps", systemd will create
>> the
>
>> udev rules
>
>> for you.)
>

>> Install all the preferred desktop environments and your people can
>> choose
>
>> their
>
>> desktop in gdm
>

>> If you use nvidia graphic cards, you need to patch the xserver see:
>
>> http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2014-April/041690.html and/or
>
>> http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2013-September/037946.html
>

>> good luck,
>

>> jkfloris

> What if you want multiseat with 6 or 8 seats?
>
> When will an xserver per video-output be available?

As long as you have enough graphic cards:
#loginctl attach seat1 /sys/devices/.../drm/card1
#loginctl attach seat2 /sys/devices/.../drm/card2
#loginctl attach seat3 /sys/devices/.../drm/card3
#loginctl attach seat4 /sys/devices/.../drm/card4
...etc...

Check
#loginctl seat-status seat0
to see how many seats can be created.
You will get the best results with the open source drivers