Touchscreen recognized as touchpad with hid-multitouch driver

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu May 1 21:52:00 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 11:51:15AM +0200, tomw wrote:
> > why are you trying to use the multitouch driver? IIRC it's a touchpad-only
> > driver and will treat anything as touchpad. And evdev handles multitouch
> > out-of-the-box now anyway.
>
> Thanks for pointing me at this, I was not fully aware of it.
>
> However the question still remains why the pointer is still visible. Of
> course I could remove it or do the usual tricks like setting it to an
> invisible pixel. My understanding however was that the pointer is not
> shown if only a touchscreen is detected.
>
> Perhaps this assumption is wrong or there are some conditions for this I
> did not get.

that's actually GNOME doing it, it detects the device type and hides the
pointer when an event comes from that device. Not sure what other desktop
environments do, maybe the same thing? Either way, it's not something that X
controls, so if the device is labelled as TOUCHSCREEN that should be enough
from our side.

Cheers,
   Peter