Synaptics: enable mouse movement while AreaBottomEdge is being 'touched'

Bastiaan Jacques bastiaan at bjacques.org
Fri Mar 21 16:11:21 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to enable mouse movement on my synaptics touchpad while
touching the part of the touchpad 'masked' by AreaBottomEdge. My
touchpad has 'integrated' mouse buttons, which makes clicking on
something that isn't huge exceedingly difficult. So, I have disabled use
of the region of the touchpad intended for these buttons by setting

   synclient AreaBottomEdge=4000

This works, for the most part. The issue is that I like to have one
finger of the left hand touching, but not pressing, the left mouse
button, while a finger on the right hand finger is moving the mouse
pointer. This doesn't work, however: when anything touches the mousepad
on the part masked out by AreaBottomEdge (or anywhere else), the
touchpad stops registering mouse motion.

A notable exception is that when I click a touchpad button, *and* start
mouse motion at the exact same time. Then I am able to move the mouse
pointer with one hand, while the other is holding the mouse button. This
isn't very useful in itself, but it shows that what I am after is, I
suspect, a software matter.

Do you know whether there is anything I can do to make this happen?

If it helps, Xorg.0.log shows the device as:

   synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Vendor 0x2 Product 0x7

I'm using the following synaptics driver package:

   xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-1.7.4-1.fc20.x86_64

Thanks,

Bastiaan