RADEON(0): [drm] Failed to open DRM device: No such file or directory error

StompDagger1@yahoo.com stompdagger1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 07:21:43 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:45 AM, "StompDagger1 at yahoo.com" <stompdagger1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:16 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 08:23 -0700, StompDagger1 at yahoo.com wrote:
>

>> >On Monday, March 10, 2014 5:58 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>
>> wrote:

>> >'No such file or directory' sounds like something is deleting
>>
 >your /dev/dri/card* files, or not creating them in the first place.
>> >Maybe check your udev setup.
>> >
>> >If it only happens with a 3.13 kernel but not with a 3.12 one,
>> another
>> >option is to bisect the kernel.
.>
.> Greetings Michel,
.>
.> dri node do exists, see:
>> dagg at NCC-5001-D ~ $ ll /dev/dri
>> total 0
>> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,  0 Mar 10 09:27 card0
>> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,  1 Mar 10 09:27 card1
>> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,  2 Mar 10 09:27 card2
>> crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 64 Mar 10
 09:27 controlD64
>> crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 65 Mar 10 09:27 controlD65
>> crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 66 Mar 10 09:27 controlD66
>>
>> I think that the way to find the cause on my part is to check the
>> origin of that msg in Xorg.log.
>>
>> is that a xserver msg or xf86-video-ati msg?>
>
>The message is from the radeon driver, but it's because drmOpen() in
>libdrm fails. It would indeed be interesting to track down where the 'No
>such file or directory' error originates from.

will do, when I'll have more info, I'll update.

Greetings Michel,

I've tried to track the source if that error, I've enabled dbg prints in libdrm and found this:
(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:06:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 11
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card1
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Invalid argument)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -22
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card2
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Invalid argument)

looking in the code I see this:
    fd = open(buf, O_RDWR, 0);
    drmMsg("drmOpenDevice: open result is %d, (%s)\n",
                fd, fd < 0 ? strerror(errno) : "OK");
    if (fd >= 0)
        return fd;

I think that the issue might be that the file cannot be opened for that mode as the path is printed above and it is ok.

any ideas what might it be?