Persistent triple-head setup

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon Jun 23 05:21:51 PDT 2014

Hello,

I just got my triple-head setup across three GPUs working. Read
below for the steps, in case you are struggling as well.

Is there a way to write all this setup into xorg.conf, rather than
having to execute xrandr-commands from xinitrc or similar? The
reason is that I want the same setup for all users and so would
prefer centralised configuration.

Here's what I did:

  % xrandr --listproviders
  Providers: number : 3
  Provider 0: id: 0xdc cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:radeon
  Provider 1: id: 0x97 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:radeon
  Provider 2: id: 0x54 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:radeon

  # enslave the second and the third to the first
  xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0 --setprovideroutputsource 2 0

  # optional: add a new mode to the VGA-1-0 output
  # (since the Monitor setting in xorg.conf seems to be ignored)
  xrandr --newmode "1280x1024" 138.54 1280 1368 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1069 -HSync +Vsync
  xrandr --addmode VGA-1-0 1280x1024

  # align the heads
  xrandr --output DVI-1 --auto --output DVI-2-2 --auto --right-of DVI-1 --output VGA-1-0 --mode 1280x1024 --right-of DVI-2-2

Somehow I would really like to rename those funky xrandr names. Then
again, once this is all hidden away in xorg.conf, it won't be much
of a bother.

Thanks,

"i always choose my friends for their good looks and my enemies for
 their good intellects. man cannot be too careful in his choice of
 enemies."
                                                      -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net