Am I using the "ati" or "vesa" driver?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Jul 30 07:35:12 PDT 2014

On 30.07.2014 22:58, YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:
>> [...]
>>> So, I think that I am using the "vesa" Xorg driver for generic VESA video
>>> cards instead of the "ati" video driver.
>>>
>>> How to be sure about that?
>>
>> Have a look at Xorg logs, usually /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>> --
>
> Yeah, but it seems to load both drivers (and other drivers too):
> $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep LoadModule
> [...]
> [  1684.745] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
> [  1684.746] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
> [  1684.748] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
> [  1684.749] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
> [...]
>
> I give you my full Xorg.0.log here:
> http://pastebin.com/fsPBgt5P
>
> If you find an interesting line telling me what driver I am using please highlight it for me.

The radeon driver fails to initialize because of this:

[  1684.773] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.

Check the dmesg output for why the radeon kernel driver isn't active.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer