Am I using the "ati" or "vesa" driver?

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Wed Jul 30 07:09:45 PDT 2014

Dnia środa, 30 lipca 2014 15:58:22 YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List pisze:
> > [...]
> >
> > > So, I think that I am using the "vesa" Xorg driver for generic VESA
> > > video
> > > cards instead of the "ati" video driver.
> > >
> > > How to be sure about that?
> >
> > Have a look at Xorg logs, usually /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>
> Yeah, but it seems to load both drivers (and other drivers too):
> $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep LoadModule
> [...]
> [  1684.745] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
> [  1684.746] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
> [  1684.748] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
> [  1684.749] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
> [...]
>
> I give you my full Xorg.0.log here:
> http://pastebin.com/fsPBgt5P
>
> If you find an interesting line telling me what driver I am using please
> highlight it for me.

You're deffinitely using the vesa driver. The radeon driver is loaded, but
then the vesa driver is initialized as first and it takes control over your
card, so finally, according to line #1700, the radeon driver is unloaded:

 [  1684.950] (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"

I'd suggest, you should either remove the vesa driver from your system and
try then. Writing a proper config file would also do the trick.
--
Łukasz Maśko                                                            _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\