After Debian upgrade, X will hang machine showing only a black screen

Jose R R Jose.r.r at metztli-it.com
Tue Jul 22 01:32:35 PDT 2014

Niltze!

After a Debian distribution upgrade [apt-get dist-upgrade] my
3-month-old X build [X.Org X Server 1.15.99.902 (1.16.0 RC 2) Release
Date: 2014-04-08] does not function properly anymore in a machine with
Intel i915.

I have since then built X from section: Build Process Based on
build.sh Script at http://www.x.org/wiki/Building_the_X_Window_System/
[X.Org X Server 1.16.99.1
Release Date: 2014-07-17]
with no success either.

I've noticed in both old and new Xorg.0.log files the following lines:

[   374.377] (II) intel(0): switch to mode 1366x768 at 60.0 on LVDS1
using pipe 0, position (0, 0), rotation normal, reflection none
[   374.377] (EE) intel(0): failed to set mode: Permission denied

Thus I assume that my Debian upgrade changed something that affected
the permissions to set X adequately.

Any insights suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com
Daylight Saving Time in USA & Canada ends: Sunday, November 02, 2014