Problem building X11 per directions on wiki

Niall Shapero nshapero at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 18 07:55:56 PDT 2014

I ran

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/util/modular util/modular

This, in theory, put all the sources I'd need for my X11 build on to my
system.  I made the directory $HOME/build,

as described, then ran

./util/modular/build.sh --clone $HOME/build --autoresume resume140718.txt

Everything seemed to go fine, until it reached libXaw3d.  The error messages
follow:

In file included from laygram.y:13:0:

LayYY.h:11:23: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'const char
*'

extern _X_HIDDEN void LayYYerror (char *s);

                       ^

  LEX      laylex.c

  CC       laylex.lo

gcc: error: laylex.c: No such file or directory

gcc: fatal error: no input files

compilation terminated.

make[3]: *** [laylex.lo] Error 1

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/niallshapero/src/lib/libXaw3d/src'

make[2]: *** [all] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/niallshapero/src/lib/libXaw3d/src'

make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/niallshapero/src/lib/libXaw3d'

make: *** [all] Error 2

build.sh: "make " failed on lib/libXaw3d

build.sh: error processing:  "lib/libXaw3d"

Now, I tried various versions of laylex.c that I could find on the Net, and
all the ones I tried produced OTHER problems.

So, where can I find the correct laylex.c file to continue my build of X11?

Sincerely,

Niall Shapero

nshapero at burnsidedigital.com