Question needs asked

Andreas Mohr andi at lisas.de
Sat Jan 18 05:05:45 PST 2014

Hello venerable Mr. Heskett,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:00:53PM -0800, xorg-request at lists.x.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 00:57:58 -0500
> From: Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>

> Kernel is 32 bit PAE 3.12.6, cpu is Phenom 9550, 8 gigs of dram.  Install
> is ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, frozen by an app that will not run on a later
> kernel, so I keep the original rtai patched kernel handy for when I need to
> run that app.

Hmm... "why?".

Two things coming to my mind:
- why would there be an incompatibility here? I thought the kernel had
  intended to keep (relatively) high levels of compatibility?
  ("relatively" since I know that some udev / syscalls stuff has been
  deprecated sometimes...)
- so, given an incompatibility, using/creating an ld wrapper library
  workaround is not an option?

Andreas Mohr

--
GNU/Linux. It's not the software that's free, it's you.