opengl windows bugged placement on compositing

Roland Plüss roland at rptd.ch
Thu Jan 9 04:42:46 PST 2014

On 01/09/2014 02:01 AM, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 8. Januar 2014 12:20:24 CEST, Roland Plüss wrote:
>
>> xwininfo: Window id: 0x5600001 (has no name)
>>   Depth: 24
>>   Visual: 0x23
>>   Visual Class: TrueColor
>>   Class: InputOutput
>>   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
>>   Map State: IsViewable
>>   Override Redirect State: no
>
>> xwininfo: Window id: 0x5600005 ""
>>   Depth: 24
>>   Visual: 0x27
>>   Visual Class: TrueColor
>>   Border width: 0
>>   Class: InputOutput
>>   Colormap: 0x5600004 (not installed)
>>   Map State: IsViewable
>>   Override Redirect State: no
>
> You might consider lookign into glXChooseFBConfig, but the outcome
> looks unspectacular.
>
> Two things:
> a) set the window override_redirect to take the WM (not the
> compositor) out of the game. At least KWin had an issue about
> reparenting an already managed window [1] (and I don't know whether
> that happened to your client and iirc you mentioned reparenting a
> hidden window works?)
> b) Since iirc you mentioned KWin (? deleted OP) you might want to set
> the compositor to XRender[2] to ensure it's not about GL and the
> particular driver.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
> [1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/109484/diff/
> [2] "kcmshell4 kwincompositing", 3rd tab
I tried now the following:

1) override_redirect set to True instead of False => broken
2) KWin compositor with OpenGL 2.0 (what I had so far) => broken
3) KWin compositor with OpenGL 3.1 (didn't see that being added) => broken
4) KWin compositor with XRender => broken
5) KWin compositor disabled => works flawless

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Plüss Roland

Leader und Head Programmer
- Game: Epsylon ( http://www.indiedb.com/games/epsylon )
- Game Engine: Drag[en]gine ( http://www.indiedb.com/engines/dragengine
, http://dragengine.rptd.ch/wiki )
- Normal Map Generator: DENormGen ( http://epsylon.rptd.ch/denormgen.php )
- Sowie verschiedene Blender Export-Skripts und Game-Tools