Hi

John Paul Hillier j.p.hillier at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 23:34:05 PST 2014

I am new to the mailing list to pardon me if I make mistakes and for my ignorance being a noob!

This is the only last way I am trying to remap a Microsoft 7000 ergonomic multi media keyboard extra keys as xev does not read anything above 255 every other way does not work what so ever in UBUNTU any more at all!!
xf86-input-evdev - http://www.thenautilus.net/cgit/xf86-input-evdev/
http://www.thenautilus.net/SW/xf86-input-evdev/
http://www.thenautilus.net/SW/my-layout/
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Remapping...vent_key_remap
Adding the code line:

ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules,/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"

To: etc/x11/xorg.config
Section "Files"ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules,/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"EndSection

Now restart X (eg reboot the machine or restart gdm etc) and check that the new module is being used:

grep evdev_drv /var/log/Xorg.0.log

The output should be something like:

(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
When I restart x with real console loging in first: sudo service lightdm restart
Does not allow me to log back into UBUNTU or GNOME desktops at all, creates a log in loop where its going to a blank screen then looping back around to the login screen again over and over no matter how many times I try.
When I restart x with real console loging in first: sudo lightdm restart *none of the real consoles work and then run grep evdev_drv /var/log/Xorg.0.log : this returns the standard path and then loging out or rebooting creates the login loop

ONLY works with "UBUNTU Studio" desktop log in, not UBUNTU or GNOME using UBUNTU STUDIO 13.10 as the install core and then with GNOME and UNITY desktops added on top.

If when In UBUNTU studio desktop I run:

grep evdev_drv /var/log/Xorg.0.log

this confirmed returns:

(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so

When I take the code line out again and log out of UBUNTU studio I can then log back into UBUNTU using UNITY desktop or GNOME if I wish etc etc. I understand UNITY is a shell that works as plugin for Compiz.
UBUNTU studio uses xfce as its shell for the desktop environment, but I have not tested it further as I use UNITY the most and wish to fix this to work on all otherwise I will have to take the codeline out every time I need to use UNITY or GNOME

Can anyone tell me why that is and can anyone help me to configure this right to work with UBUNTU Unity desk top and GNOME as I am taking it that that the cause of this problem is effecting UNITY and GNOME and at a guess it would point to GNOME as UNITY has to have GNOME to work and just uses Compiz as a plugin for it to run UNITy.

Thanks.
Hope someone can help!!
Regards,

John