xman displays man pages very slowly

Rudolf Poller poller.rudolf at t-online.hu
Sun Feb 23 01:42:47 PST 2014

Hello,

Affected system:

+ Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
+ CYGWIN_NT-6.1 2014-02-09 21:06 x86_64 Cygwin
+ Window Maker 0.95.4
+ xman 1.1.3

Problem description:

I have recently installed cygwin. Unfortunately, xman displays man pages
so slowly that I can see how it draws the pixels row by row. Meanwhile
it also occupies the whole Window Maker. This makes xman unusable for
the daily work.

Otherwise all of cygwin, Window Maker and xman works fine.

What can one do to speed up xman's display operation?

The problem does not seem to be an xman malfuntion. I also installed
xman 1.1.2 from source and it performs the same way, although xman 1.1.2
works fine with the original cygwin installation on another computer
(Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit, CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64

Perhaps it helps to note that the cygwin setup-x86_64.exe installed xman
1.1.3 in such a way that in the man page window only the groff output
appeared. I had to build it from source using

         ./configure CFLAGS=-D__CYGWIN__

and adding a C prepocessor test entry to vendor.h, so as to achieve the
present status (that is, at least the man page appears, although very
slowly).

The hardware includes high performance graphics (being a CAE workstation).

Your kind help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Rudolf Poller