[synaptics] Configure clickpad right button

Olausson, Bjoern aggregator at olausson.de
Mon Dec 22 11:28:09 PST 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>
wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 07:35:31PM +0100, Olausson, Bjoern wrote:
> > Hej xorg users and devs,
> >
> > I am struggling to configure my clickpad to my usage behavior.
> >
> > What I want to achieve is the following:
> > The right button should extend from the most lower left to the most lower
> > right corner and the height should be 10% from the total height of the
> > touch area (~1 cm towards the top starting from the bottom).
> >
> > And the sugar coating on top would be to disable this are for mouse
> > movements.
>
> update to 1.7.6 or later and you'll get that sugar coating for free.
>
> Indeed. I updated to  1.8.1 and then the areas which are buttons only work
as touch area when I scroll in from the part which is a real touch area.
That's nice.

> I tried to play with the following var in my 50-synaptics.conf
> >                                          "RBL RBR RBT RBB MBL MBR MBT
> MBB"
> > Option "SoftButtonAreas" "0      0      82% 0       0      0       0
> > 0"
> > Option "AreaBottomEdge" "x"
> >
> > The easy part was how to figure out to make the button extend over the
> > entire width of the clickpad.
> > Setting RBL and RBR bot to zero worked fine, but I was never able to move
> > the button to the bottom.
> > I manage to get a ~1cm high strip in the middle but I never managed to
> move
> > it to the bottom...
> >
> > But somehow those % are not logic to me. 82% and 100% does the same ~50%
> of
> > the touchpad from the bottom is a right button. 5% makes the entire
> > touchpad a right button...
> > Same for RBB but vice versa...
> >
> > Can anyone enlighten me how the % are calculated and from where to
> where. I
> > could make sense of the RBT and RBB values.
>
> use the touchpad-edge-detector tool from the libevdev repository to check
> what the touchpad actually sends. what's most likely happening here is that
> your touchpad advertises wrong ranges. synaptics takes those ranges from
> the
> kernel and then uses them to calculate the percentages, so if that is all
> over the place then you'll probably need to fix up the kernel.
>
> Here we go:
Kernel says:    x [1472..5112], y [1408..3834]
Touchpad sends: x [1025..5113], y [2021..4832]

What kernel version are you running and have you tried a more recent one?
> If it's the case with a recent kernel, please file a bug and attach the
> dmesg output.
>
> I am running on vanilla 3.18.1
Before I post a bug, I would like to make sure that its not a PEBCAK.
Anyway, attaching a dmesg can never hurt.

As a workaround, you can use the raw values from the touchpad locally
> though, so instead of 82% use the actual value from the touchpad where you
> want it.
>
> No matter what % I set, half of the touch area (from bottom to top) and
right to left is now a "button". So only the upper left quarter of the
touch-pad is a touch area, all the rest is now a right button - very
annoying. When I use 1% the entire touchpad is a button...
When I set it for example to 50% then 50% or even less of the upper left
quarter is usable of touch area. And the weird thin is that also the button
area from right to left gets larger...

I'll try with absolute values and see if I can make sense of this.

Cheers,
>    Peter

Cheers,
Bjoern