xinitrc empty variables (xterm/xclock/twm) on config file

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 07:41:35 PST 2014

HI

I am very new on Xorg and X11 technology, but I think there is a
problem with the xinit system, here is the story :

When I compiled the xinit from the source code with these options on
the configure:

./configure   --without-twm   --without-xclock   --without-xterm

Everything works fine , but at the end the file xinitrc in
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

-no &
-no -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
-no -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
-no -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
-exec no -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

Usually the output without these options is :

-TWM &
-XCLOCK -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
-XTERM -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
-XTERM -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
-exec XTERM -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

I was checking the xinitrc.cpp and discover that these are global
variables and at some point on the configure.ac there is that problem.

If this is a bug I am more than happy to try to  fix it.( or if I am
calling it wrong please tell me )  I did a personal patch , but is not
the clean way to fix it . Something like:

[ -x /usr/bin/startxfce4 ] && /usr/bin/startxfce4

Same for xclock and xterm

All the feedback is more than welcome

Regards

Victor Rodriguez