Need help with M$ touchmouse

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Dec 4 18:43:44 PST 2014

On Thursday 04 December 2014 16:18:16 Peter Hutterer did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 01:23:49PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have a wireless M$ Explorer Touchmouse, and the touch pad is
> > buggier than a 10 day old carcass.
> >
> > Specifically, the side scrolling is driving me crazy, and its not a
> > long trip. ;)
> >
> > When it works, its 20x more sensitive sideways than vertically, and I
> > can't get my fingers far enough away from the pad to stop its crazy
> > behavior, and still rest them in a comfy location for button pushing.
> >
> > Is there anything I can put in an /etc/X11 file that will shut the
> > side scroll function off, but leave the vertical finger drags
> > working?
>
> attach an evemu recording and your xorg.log to a bug please. I don't
> have a recording for this one yet so it's hard to tell.
>
> Cheers,
>    Peter

First off Peter, evemu is not 'locate'able.  And I'm not sure you want the
current Xorg.0.log in your mailbox as its north of 179 megabytes.
I even sicc'd synaptic to find it in the ubuntu repo, and came up dry
there too.

This is a 10.04.4 LTS server install with enough kde pulled in to get
kmail & friends.

I can copy/paste the relevant module loading bits. Here if it would help.

THere is about 160 megabytes of this in the log:

 (II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(**) FBDEV(0): using shadow framebuffer
(II) Loading sub module "shadow"
(II) LoadModule: "shadow"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
(II) Module shadow: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) UnloadModule: "nv"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
(==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(==) FBDEV(0): Backing store disabled
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument

Which is repeated at least 1000 times, then later after it has found my
pcHDTV-3000 card:

(II) MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (cx88xx): initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (cx88xx)
(/dev/input/mouse0)
(II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument

I'd guess another 165 megabytes of that to the end of the log.  Uptime is
a week & small change.

I didn't even know the tv card had a mouse port?  But I'll be dipped, it
actually has a ps2 socket on the back of it!  But I'm not sure I still
have one of those critters.

> > Even that goes away quite frequently, and I have to turn the mouse
> > over, shut it off for a second or two & turn it back on, at which
> > point it works fairly well but will eventually become intermittent
> > in its response for an hour or so before completely dying, the the
> > screen cursor still follows it well, and the two buttons work well.
> > But I've blamed that on a buggy mouse.
> >
> > This is extremely distracting when I am writing code in geany (gedit
> > does not have a sideways scroll, but it has trashed important source
> > code file entirly too often, geany never has) because I have to drag
> > the bar on the bottom back the the left stop in order to see what I
> > am writing.  I need help since the mouse makers figured out how to
> > sell the high priced versions by putting the optical eye way back
> > under the palm of our hands instead of up under your fingers in the
> > #<$50 models.  So the <$50 mice aren't at all intuitive to use
> > because you are forced to move the whole arm when using them.

Thanks Peter.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)