Synaptic: right click + move

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Dec 2 16:35:38 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 02:25:01PM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Thinkpad T440 with:
> N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> P: Phys=synaptics-pt/serio0/input0
>
> There is something that I'm missing and I don't know if it's physically
> (hardware limitation) possible. I'd like to Right click and then move
> the position.

it's not a HW limitation. the hw doesn't do right clicks at all, we emulate
it through sofware buttons (that you have configured). on synaptics current
master at least, this works just fine.

> With my current configuration this is not possible (this is a copy-paste from
> some Internet pages and some local changes):

what version of synaptics do you have?

> # Custom xorg.conf.d snippet that assigns the touchpad driver
> # to all touchpads. See xorg.conf.d(5) for more information on
> # InputClass.
> # Additional options may be added in the form of
> #   Option "OptionName" "value"
> #
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "touchpad catchall"
>         Driver "synaptics"
>         MatchIsTouchpad "on"
> # This option is recommend on all Linux systems using evdev, but cannot be
> # enabled by default. See the following link for details:
> # http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-ignore-configuration-errors.html
>       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>
>       # This sets the top area of the touchpad to not track
>       # movement but can be used for left/middle/right clicks
>       Option "SoftButtonAreas" "60% 0 0 2400 40% 60% 0 2400"
>       Option "AreaTopEdge" "2400"

my guess is that the AreaTopEdge option causes the issue

>       # Helps to reduce mouse cursor "jumpiness"
>       Option "HorizHysteresis" "15"
>       Option "VertHysteresis" "15"
>
>       # Settings reported to work well on an X1 Carbon
>       Option "FingerLow" "40"
>       Option "FingerHigh" "45"
>       Option "MinSpeed" "1"
>       Option "MaxSpeed" "1"
>       Option "AccelerationProfile" "2"
>       Option "ConstantDeceleration" "4"
>
>       # Disable edge scrolling, I prefer two-finger scroll instead
>       Option "VertEdgeScroll" "0"
>
>       Option "TapAndDragGesture" "1"
>
>       # Enable three-finger tap for middle mouse click
>       Option "TapButton3" "3"
>
>     # Carles
>       Option "TapButton1" "1"
>       Option "TapButton2" "2"
> EndSection
>
> Any advice of how to do it? Can the Thinkpad's synaptic process the right-click
> and then with another finger move the position?
> Using a standard mouse is very easy: right click and then move the mouse.
> I thought that the TapAndDragGesture could be this but I guess that it's
> not...

TapAndDrag is explained in the man page, it's not related to right clicks.

Cheers,
   Peter