Are we need a gothic English keyboard layout?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 03:44:46 PDT 2014

On Mittwoch, 27. August 2014 12:25:32 CEST, Hi-Angel wrote:
>> Hardly. Those are mathemtical symbols and *not* for text at all.
> Also it's no way "Fraktur"[1] and the only two fraktur additions in unicode
> are u+017f and u+2e17 (special german fraktur letters/symbols that are not
> in use in latin, u+017f is a "soft" "s".
>
> Why do you think that it isn't for a text?
Because text is either written in latin, kyrillic, hirigana/katagana, hanzi, .... not in mathematical symbols. It may randomly look like text, but the content is actually just "meaningless" (out of context)

> And why does you decided that it is not Fraktur…?
1. I'm German.
2. I've read more than a dozen books in Fraktur
3. The unicode characters look *nothing* like Fraktur (that explicitly means the WP example) in my current system font (Adobe Sans Pro) - and I can not recall them to look like that in any of my math books either.

> Well, then it is a problem of an outdated font.
You mean like 98% of all fonts available?
Hint: the system usually completes missing chars from some substitute/default font.

> I can suppose that some old sites isn't using it.
1. "The internet" != "html"
2. *every* html page that does not explicitly have <meta charset="utf8"> is to be considered latin-1
3. MS uses UTF-16 on the system and happily exports windows-125* from word or whatever the last idiot uses to create a webpage.

If you want a fraktur look, write latin-1, using a Fraktur font.

Cheers,
Thomas