回复: Xwindow stack level

LIDE 1053481745 at qq.com
Thu Apr 17 03:41:22 PDT 2014

How to use Openbox+xcompmgr correctly?
http://stackoverflow.com/q/23130581/3530420?sem=2

发件人: "Thomas Lübkin";
发送时间: 2014年4月17日(星期四) 上午7:33
收件人: "LIDE"<1053481745 at qq.com>;
抄送: "xorg at freedesktop.org";
主题: Re: Xwindow stack level

In general, please keep asking xorg at freedesktop.org

There're four possible causes:
1) the window is tagged "override_redirect" (not managed by the WM, thus not put into a managed stack, but simply on top of everything)
2) the rightclick menu is NOT tagged "override_redirect" and considered below by the WindowManager
3) There is no WM (thus all windows are considered "override_redirect" and new one will simply open on top of everything unless the client restacks them itself, ie. plays WM)
4) there's no compositor, the video uses an overlay technique (xv/vdpau) and th popups color matches the color key of the overlay (the GPU will replace the matching color in the matching region with the video content, bypassing X11)

A window manager would be sth. like fvwm, kwin, compiz, metacity, lwm, e16, openbox, mutter and a dozen other variants - desktop environments like gnome, kde, xfce, lxde usually run a WM, but if you just start an X11 display server, there won't be one - and "something else" (your client, i assume) has to control the stacking order of all relevant client windows.

Cheers,
Thomas