Triple monitor, one card; xrandr => xorg.conf

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Tue May 28 22:20:48 PDT 2013

Dear Alex,

Thank you so much for taking the time to make a thoughtful reply.

On 29/05/13 00:21 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
>On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Nick Urbanik <nicku at nicku.org> wrote:
>You can skip the above lines if you just change the monitor
>identifiers to match your output names.  Also, I'm not sure that
>having relative locations for every monitor will work correctly.  For
>the farthest left one, leave out the orientation.
>
>> EndSection
>
>Try something like this:
>

>Section "Device"
>  Identifier "ati-5450"
>EndSection
>
>Section "Monitor"
>   Identifier "DVI-0"
>EndSection
>
>Section "Monitor"
>   Identifier "DisplayPort-0"
>   Option "RightOf" "DVI-0"
>EndSection

Yes, that works for when lightdm starts: the screens are in the right
order.  Its simplicity is beautiful (the xorg.conf you wrote).

But when I log into XFCE 4.10, then it does as described in my last
post on this topic: VGA-0 on the left, then DVI-0, then at 1900 pixels
from the left of VGA-0, which takes us into the territory of DVI-0,
then DisplayPort-0 continues, mirroring DVI-0 for all but 150 pixels
on the left and 150 on the right.  Is it XFCE being naughty?

As before, my xrandr command makes everything pop into the right place
and behave properly, but I'd like to have things "just work".

As a probably unrelated side issue, neither gdm nor Gnome 3 start up,
regardless of presence or shape of xorg.conf.
Nick Urbanik             http://nicku.org           nicku at nicku.org