X circa 1992

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun May 5 09:55:45 PDT 2013

On 05/ 5/13 04:23 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> Yes, the *core* X11 library has been unchanged for a very long time.  It is
> like the wheel -- nobody has really updated the basic shape (round) in
> *thousands* of years.

We did make a new one that doesn't stop rolling as often, called libxcb, but
it's specifically designed to operate alongside the older libX11, allowing
applications to slowly migrate over time, or just stay on libX11 and ignore it.

> The only other issue would be imake (is that still used?) and Motif (but there
> is OpenMotif).

X.Org still provides imake for building old software that needs it, though we're
not spending a lot of time on updating the platform definitions in it, so they
may be out of date.   We don't use it anymore ourselves, but we know there was
enough other software built using it that having it available is still of a
little use.

As for toolkits, Motif is probably one of the better ancient toolkits at this
point, thanks to OpenMotif - you'd be doing better with that than if your app
was written to OLIT, Xview, or one of the others no one has heard of in so
long that I've forgotten their names.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com